Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year



Today is the first day of the New Year. I hope that this year will be better than last year. Like many I have resolutions, so to speak, that I have made. I would rather refer to them as goals. I plan to make small steps to reach my goals. I think this approach is more practical.


Many bring in the New Year with parties, celebrations, fireworks, food, family and friends. I hope everyone had an enjoyable New Year's Eve. New Year's Day also has many traditions which I will participate in. I have noticed that these traditions involve the food that is eaten on New Year's Day. In Spain and Mexico, the New Year's tradition is to eat 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight as the new year dawns. In the Philippines, food stays on the table from the old year to the new to ensure a plentiful table all year. In Japan, soba noodles are eaten for a long life. In the Southern US states, black-eyed peas and greens are eaten for luck and money.


For my health and wealth, I will prepare a meal of black-eyed peas, cabbage, ham and cornbread. These are not my favorite things to eat, but I will stick to traditions.


I hope that 2009 will be a better year for everyone. I also hope that progress can be made in the area of custody issues. If you are a target parent, let your voice be heard. You can write your legislator and make them aware of parental alienation. This is one small step to start to have bills passed that will help preserve the rights of parents and to maybe end the emotional abuse of children.


God Bless and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment